Our meal delivery area is the City of Erie, Millcreek Township, and Lawrence Park Township. The boundaries for this area are from Lake Erie (north) to I-90 (south) and Millfair Road (west) to Nagle Road (east). If you live outside these areas, you may qualify for GECAC meals or our Grocery Shopping and Delivery Program. If you do, those who are home bound or unable make their own meals should call us at (814) 452-6930. Our office hours are 8AM to 4PM Monday – Friday. Applying is simple and can be done right over the phone.
WHAT PROGRAMS DO YOU OFFER?
We have three programs serving different types of recipients.
- Private Pay is for home bound seniors (over 60) and persons with disabilities (under 60) with the ability to pay for their meals These are folks who cannot make their own meals, might be recuperating from an injury or hospital stay, or have other reasons where making meals has become a hardship. Home delivered meals are a terrific respite for care givers, too. One of the major benefits of home delivered meals are our volunteers who meet our clients face to face each weekday.
- Under 60 Adults With Disabilities is a free meal program paid for by the PA Department of Human Services. These recipients are between the ages of 18 and 59 and income qualify. Meals On Wheels Erie is the sole qualifier for these clients. Click HERE to see how you can qualify for these free meals.
- GECAC (Great Erie Community Action Committee) is Erie County’s Area Agency on Aging and offers free meals paid for by state lottery revenue. GECAC recipients are income and needs qualified through an interview process administered by GECAC personnel. While we deliver the meal to you, you would be qualified by GECAC. Click HERE to see how you can start the qualification process.
NOTE: Programs 1 and 2 above are made in one kitchen and Program 3 is made in another. Below you will see descriptions of meals made by the kitchen providing meals for the first two programs above. The GECAC kitchen is completely different and we do not control those meals. You can call GECAC at 459-4581 and ask for the kitchen to ask questions about their meals.
WHAT’S IN A MEAL?
- A protein, starch and vegetable come delivered hot in a compartmentalized tray with a heat sealed cellophane top.
- A salad (leaf, cottage cheese, etc)
- A dessert (cake, cookie, etc.)
- A slice of bread with pat of butter
- 8 oz. of 2% milk
St. Martin Center prepares meals for our Private Pay Program and our Under 60 Persons With Disabilities Program (see below for qualifications).
Click here for a menu.
CHOOSE FROM TWO MEAL TYPES – Regular Meal and Diet Meal In our Diet Meal, we use low or no sugar substitutes for desserts for our diabetic clients or those just wishing to cut down on their glucose level. All meals are low-sodium.
TIME OF DELIVERY – Our caring volunteers deliver meals Monday through Friday anytime between 10AM and Noon (sometimes a half hour earlier). You can save your meal for the evening by simply refrigerating and heating it up using an oven or microwave (container is oven and microwave safe). Remove cellophane entirely if using an oven.
HOLIDAY MEALS – We do not deliver on holidays (see the menu for a list of holidays). However, you will not go without a meal! We will deliver a frozen meal for the holiday on the weekday before the holiday. For instance, for a Monday holiday we will deliver a frozen meal on the preceding Friday. For a Thursday holiday, we will deliver the weekday before.
FROZEN MEALS – Frozen meals contain the same ingredients as the regular hot meal but the entree and apple sauce are frozen. Just place in your refrigerator to thaw and they will be ready to heat and eat the next day. Reheating instructions are included.
FOOD SUBSTITUTIONS – If you have any food allergies or other food restrictions we will make (a reasonable number of) substitutions. For instance, we offer 2% milk every day but will substitute with cranberry or apple juice for those who are lactose intolerant. See our Menu for a list of these substitutions.
OPTIONAL LIGHT MEAL – Included for Under 60 participants
For the heartier appetite or to stretch meals out an optional Light Meal can be added to the main hot meal and contains a cold sandwich, seasonal fresh fruit and dessert.
OPTIONAL WEEKEND MEALS – We offer frozen meals for the weekend and are delivered on Fridays. The protein/starch/vegetable portion is frozen and comes with re-heating instructions. All other sides are fresh.
PRIVATE PAY Program
COST – Prices differ for the Regular Meal, Light Meal and how many meals are delivered during the week. Please call for the most up-to-date cost of meals.
YOUR BILL – We mail or email your invoice one month ahead on or about the 15th of the month. For example, you would pay for November meals at the end of October. Meals are based on the days in the month and change month to month.
PAYMENTS – We take personal and business checks, bank bill pay, and the SNAP Access card (food stamps). SNAP clients will receive a voucher in your invoice. Just sign and return like a check and we will debit your card. Sorry, due to high fees we cannot take credit cards at this time.
DUE DATE – We request payment be made prior to the first day of the calendar month. Your check is your receipt.
CANCELLATIONS AND CREDITS – If you call by 3PM the previous day to cancel your meal you will not be charged for the meal. You will be credited for cancelled meals on your next month’s invoice.
Call (814) 452-6930 and sign up today.
UNDER-60 PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES Program (free meals)
For persons with disabilities between the ages of 18 and 59, the County Department of Human Services and the United Way help fund meals for those who qualify under the Human Service Development Fund of Pennsylvania:
- You must prove low income (Access Card holder, for instance).
- You must be fully or partially, permanently or temporarily, physically or mentally handicapped.
- You must live alone. Or, you may reside with someone else who is also incapable of preparing meals.
- You must not be a member of another program offering meals or meal preparation.
- Meals On Wheels Erie is the sole qualifying agent. The Executive Director will interview the candidate in their home and ask additional questions required by the program to determine eligibility.
All Under 60 recipients get the Light Meal automatically included in their meal delivery. Weekend meals are available for Under 60 clients in extenuating circumstances. Call (814) 452-6930 to schedule an interview.
The GECAC Program (free meals)
The PA State Lottery Commission provides Aging Block Grant funding to Erie’s Area Agency on Aging (AAA) for free meals to home bound seniors over age 60. The AAA in Erie is GECAC (Greater Erie Community Action Committee). In a collaborative effort, GECAC administers this program and Meals On Wheels Erie delivers meals to their eligible consumers. To qualify for this program you must call GECAC directly. They are the sole qualifying agent.
Call (814) 459-4581. Ext. 400 to begin the qualifying process.
NOTE: Meals are prepared in the GECAC kitchen and no customization is provided. Additionally, GECAC provides two frozen weekend meals that we deliver on Fridays for a total of seven meals per week for those consumers who qualify for them. Not all GECAC recipients qualify for meals seven days per week.